This one's for all of you who are excited to leave 2020 behind and cautiously optimistic about the year ahead! (Adults only.) What better way to celebrate than with a boozy chocolate cupcake? And there's the added bonus of it being comfort food, just in case, you know, 2021 has the nerve to treat us like 2020 did. Let's dive face-first into this sweet chocolatey goodness!
For the Cake:
- 1 Box Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup cold brew coffee
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For The Boozy Chocolate Ganache Frosting:
- 12 oz. semi-sweet Ghiradelli chocolate chips
- 6 oz. whipping cream
- 2 tsp Mozart Dark Chocolate Liqueur
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For smoothest texture, sift the cake mix to remove all lumps.
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium speed until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners half full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center
- Allow to cool completely before frosting
To Make the Ganache Frosting:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat heavy whipping cream in 30-second intervals until it reaches 200 degrees.
- Pour in chocolate chips and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir the chocolate mixture gently with a whisk until completely combined.
- Add in chocolate liqueur and vanilla and stir to combine. Allow to cool completely, approximately 1-2 hours.
- Place the ganache into the bowl of a stand mixer. With a paddle attachment beat on low/medium speed for 45 seconds to 1 minute.