Chocolate Candy Corn Cupcakes by Taryn at Life and Sprinkles!
These chocolatey cupcakes are filled with extra chocolate chips and topped with a sweet and creamy milk chocolate frosting. They're decorated with candy corn, mellowcremes and Sprinkle Pop "All Hallows" sprinkle mix.
Growing up, I was NEVER into the fruity candy- Skittles, Starburst, Sour Patch Kids. I only wanted the chocolate...except for candy corn. I'm not sure what it is about candy corn, but I could eat an entire bag. I think it's the honey component that makes me crave the sweetness and texture.
Nothing beats trick or treating when you're a kid- running through lawns to ring doorbells and dressing up as your most beloved character. When you get older, nothing quite matches that same feeling and the nostalgia of it all. This held true until I had my daughter. Taking her to trunk or treats, having multiple costume changes, and watching Halloween classic movies has brought the holiday alive again. Candy corn and all.
Recently, I had a bunch of leftover ingredients- chocolate cake, frosting, and candy corn so I ate a spoonful of all of them together, and I was hooked! Chocolate and candy corn are an underrated combo and I went crazy for these. The base is a doctored cake mix with extra chocolate chips. They're topped with chocolate frosting made with cocoa powder, melted milk chocolate and vanilla bean paste. Vanilla bean paste adds a warmth and richness to the buttercream. I topped them with Autumn Mix candy corn which consists of two shades of candy corn and mellowcremes (which I also love!) To give them a Halloween feel, I added "All Hallows" sprinkle mix. This mix screams Halloween. There's a combo of the Halloween staple colors- black, white, and orange with pops of silver and the cutest cutout bats.
This recipe is simple yet addicting, and I hope you get the chance to make it this Halloween!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 box instant pudding mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 c + 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 sticks of butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 4 oz milk chocolate- melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2-3 tbsp heavy cream
- candy corn for garnish
- Sprinkle Pop's "All Hallows" sprinkle mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil, and eggs. Add in the chocolate chips. Pour into 24 liners and bake according to package directions. Cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth. Add in half of the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, melted chocolate, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add in the rest of the powdered sugar and 2 tbsp of cream. Continue to mix. If it's too thick add 1 tbsp heavy cream at a time. If it's too thin add powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time.
- Using a piping bag and 1M tip (or tip of choice), pipe the frosting onto each cupcake. Garnish with sprinkles. Place in the fridge for 5 minutes to set a bit and then add the candy corn and pumpkins on top.
- Serve or refrigerate. Bring to room temp before serving.