Our next contributor is the amazingly talented Jaina from Cocoa and Silk. She's know for her amazing use of color and creativity in her desserts. Her cupcakes truly look out of this world, and she used the appropriately named sprinkle mix! Enjoy!
Every year I say the same thing about how quickly time is going, but seriously, how is it almost September and time for everyone to go back to school?! As I get older, time seems to be moving at lightning speed, and in the blink of an eye I watch my nieces and nephews around me go from the cutest babies, to little people with incredible personalities, to teenagers with soul and determination. There have been many first days at “big” school, many new schools, and many graduations, and all I can hope is that they are met with kindness each day and know how special they are.
Casting my mind back to my school days, it was interesting to say the least. An all-girls school can show you the strength and bond of a wonderful group of women, but it can also cast an almost clique-like shadow over some days. There were times it felt like you didn’t fit in or you were different to everyone else, but the truth is, everyone is unique, and everyone does deserve to be there, no matter how others may make you feel. If I could give my younger self one piece of advice, it would be - “always be yourself, believe in your strength, and remember that you can do anything you put your mind to”. And to all you driven and smart children of today, know that ALL shapes, sizes and colours matter, you CAN sit here, and you are and always will be important in this world.
Now, let’s talk about these cupcakes. To celebrate the kids going back to school, I wanted to come up with something easy to bake, delicious to eat and vibrant to look at. I LOVE colour and my oh my does this “Out of this world” blend make my heart happy!
As for the cupcake itself, baking an Oreo right into the bottom of this chocolate chip studded goodness is the most wonderful surprise for all the kids (and adults!) to bite into. Plus, they’re topped with a duo of delicious Oreo and brightly coloured buttercream, and of course, sprinkles! I knew “Out of this world” would be the PERFECT blend, because, not only does it work incredibly well with the Oreo’s, but it has all shapes and sizes and colours of sprinkles, and the name represents how we should feel about the beautiful children in our lives. They may challenge our patience, but my gosh are they special and life-changing in all the right ways.
I hope you all love this recipe! x
Yield: Makes 24 cupcakes
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Decorating Time: 30 mins
For the cupcakes
1 box vanilla cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the buttercream
2 and 1/4 cups (500g) unsalted butter
7 cups powdered sugar, sieved
1 and 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
Gel colours in pink, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple - I used the Chefmaster neon-brite range
“Out of the world” sprinkle medley from Sprinkle Pop Shop
For the cupcakes
For the buttercream
1. Add each gel colour to one of the 6 bowls and mix.
2. Fill the Oreo buttercream into a large piping big fitted with a 2D tip, and then fill each of the coloured buttercreams into separate piping bags (without a tip). Prepare a plain piping bag with another 2D tip - because we need to use the same tip for all of the colours, I prefer to just fit one separate bag with the tip, and then insert each of the coloured buttercream bags one by one when decorating
3. Using the Oreo buttercream first, pipe a rosette onto each cupcake, starting from the middle and working your way outwards
4. Once all the Oreo rosettes are done, insert your first colour piping bag into the plain piping bag fitted with the 2D tip. Pipe a small rosette in the centre on top of the Oreo buttercream. Although you only see 12 cupcakes in the photo, you should be able to pipe 4 of each colour for the full 24 cupcakes. Once you have finished with the first colour, remove the piping bag, and replace it with the second colour and repeat until you have used all six.
5. Now time for the sprinkles! Using the “Out of the world” mix, sprinkle all over the cupcakes
6. And just like that, they’re all done and ready to eat! Enjoy straight away or place in the fridge in a plastic container or cupcake box for up to 4 days. Remove from the fridge and bring to room temperature ahead of eating.
Comments will be approved before showing up.