Raise your hand if you let your kids bake with you. No one? I feel you. Working on decorated edible goodies is my job, so there’s little time to let my kids enjoy themselves in the kitchen. Also, I’m extremely particular about what things look like (aka I’m controlling- no shame about it), and I cringe when I see them roll oddly shaped balls of cookie dough or wield a piping bag of royal icing. Alas, I try to be a ‘fun mom’ and let them play occasionally- with supervision, of course- and only with items that won’t make me pull my hair out. Follow along to find the rainbow sprinkle treat that scored me major brownie points with my kids and gave me yet another sugary item to devour.
Enter the sugar cookie. I make two kinds of sugar cookies- one is a firm dough which is cut out and decorated- this means work for me, literally; the other is a soft, delectable pillow of heaven that is rolled into balls for baking, and these are my go-to when I want something warm, fast, and sweet.
My must-have features of this type of sugar cookie include a soft, chewy center, a nice pillowy texture, and a not-too-sweet flavor profile. The fun part is rolling the dough in white sugar before baking. Some variations of colored sugars can be fun, too… but I wanted to let the kids have fun and take it a step further. How does one do that? Easy: Rainbow Road sprinkle mix! Throw multi colored sprinkles on anything, literally anything, and you’ve got yourself a party.
The best thing is you likely have ALL of these ingredients in your pantry, and these take no time at all to whip up. Grab you some butter to soften (GENTLY- in the microwave, if you’re like me) and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In about 20 minutes, you will be digging into these puffs of deliciousness.
Simple Rainbow Sugar Cookies
- ½ cup of butter (1 stick)- I use salted butter, lightly softened
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Sprinkle Pop Rainbow Road Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar in a small bowl
- In a large bowl, cream together the first four ingredients (butter, oil, and both sugars) until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and stir in the vanilla
- Slowly combine the dry mixture with the wet ingredients
- Roll the dough into 1” balls, dip the top of the balls into Rainbow Sprinkles*
- Place the balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, the edges will just barely start to brown
*When baking these sprinkles onto cookies, remove the large sphere sprinkles (they will melt- ask me how I know)
I usually set them aside and eat them as I go, just so the kids don’t miss them. ;)
For extra fun, I brushed the rim of a glass with piping gel (you could also use melted white chocolate) and dipped the glass into the rainbow sprinkles. I love a decorative glass, and the kiddos felt so fancy while they snacked on these super simple rainbow sugar cookies. Get your sprinkle on with Rainbow Road and support DonorsChoose.org as the charity of the month!