Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache Tarts by Jaina at Cocoa and Silk
Being completely honest, growing up I never really went trick or treating…don’t judge me! I’m not sure if it was the area I grew up in, or simply the fact that it was a less popular holiday in the UK, but it wasn’t something my family or I ever did. As I entered high school, I met my best friend who just happened to be born on Halloween. 14 years later she married my brother and they now have two beautiful kids, which means Halloween is officially an event for us as a family. Firstly, to celebrate my sister in law’s birthday, and secondly, to take my nephew trick or treating in their neighbourhood! I love watching the excitement on his face as he approaches another house, rings the doorbell and chooses what candy or chocolate to take. But more-so than ever, I love when my brother, sister in law and I can raid his stash when we get home for all the goodies he’s “not allowed to eat”, and eat them ourselves!
Of course, if I could choose any chocolate to have on Halloween (or any other normal day), it would be a good old Ferrero Rocher. It was my absolute favourite growing up when someone would come to visit and bring a box of the beautifully gold wrapped chocolates, and I still cannot resist them now! I mean, how can you say no to chocolate and hazelnut? To celebrate this spooky season, I made some chocolate ganache tarts in honour of my favourite chocolate. If I could relive my childhood again, I would DEFINITELY go trick or treating to get a bunch of these babies, especially if they had such fun and hilarious sprinkles on top like the amazing Ghouls Eye mix I used here!
The tart is made with a base of a (cheat’s) chocolate hazelnut feuilletine, topped with chocolate hazelnut ganache, roasted hazelnuts and my favourite Halloween blend from Sprinkle Pop, the Ghouls Eye mix. I just cannot get enough of those little eyes staring at you, they truly make me smile every single time! The orange eyes look seriously mad, and the yellow eyes so confused – I LOVE it! The colours of the jimmies are also so perfect in this mix and really helped bring these tarts to life.
I hope you all enjoy the recipe! X
Yield: Makes 6 mini tartlets
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooling Time: 1.5 hours
Decorating Time: 5 mins
1 cup milk chocolate chips
2 tbsp roasted hazlenuts
¾ cup golden cereal flakes, crushed
1.5 cups + ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1.5 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup + 6 tsp chocolate hazelnut spread, such as Nutella
Roasted hazelnuts, for decorating
Ghouls Eye Sprinkle Pop mix, for decorating
- To make the “cheat’s” hazelnut feuilletine, melt 1 cup milk chocolate chips in 30 second bursts in the microwave in a large bowl until smooth. Add 2 tbsp chopped roasted hazelnuts and ¾ cups crushed golden cereal flakes, and mix. Split the mixture evenly into 6 loose bottomed mini tartlet tins and place in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Place 1.5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips in a bowl with 1/3 cup Nutella. Heat 1.5 cups heavy cream in a saucepan and take off the heat just before it starts to boil. Pour over the chocolate and leave to stand for 2 mins. Stir with a spatula slowly until smooth.
- Add 1 tsp of chocolate hazelnut spread into the centre of each tartlet, pour the ganache on top, and sprinkle with some more roasted hazelnuts. Leave to set in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Melt ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips in 30 second bursts in the microwave until smooth, and place into a piping bag. Slowly push up the loose bottom of each tartlet tin and remove the tartlets, then place onto baking paper and drizzle with the melted chocolate.
- Sprinkle with the Ghouls Eye Sprinkle Pop mix before enjoying the ganache tarts at room temperature.