Can we even call it Christmas without a traditional Yule Log cake?! Don’t let this festive treat intimidate you. I’ve got a super-easy doctored cake mix recipe that will have you rolling this woodsy Yule Log in no time. A few store-bought ingredients will help save time and not a single holiday-lover will be able to tell the difference.
Yule Log Ingredients:
1 box vanilla cake mix
6 eggs, large
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
*1 tbsp icing sugar for dusting the cloth
1 container whipped vanilla buttercream
2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. clove
Chocolate Ganache frosting:
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tbsp. corn syrup
Yule Log Instructions:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer whip the eggs on high for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix on low until fully incorporated.
3. On a foil-lined and sprayed 15x10 cookie tray spread 3 1/2 cups of prepared cake batter. Use the remaining batter for cupcakes if so desired.
4. Bake for 12-16 minutes in a 375-degree oven until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. On a clean kitchen cloth dust the icing sugar over evenly and immediately flip the cake onto the cloth. Carefully remove the foil.
6. While the cake is still hot gently roll the cake and cloth lengthwise into a tight roll and allow to fully cool while rolled up on a cooling rack. This should take approximately 1 hour.
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer combine all the ingredients and whip on low to combine and then high for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting:
1. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the heavy cream, chocolate chips, and corn syrup in 30-second intervals, sitting after each interval, until fully melted and smooth.
2. Allow to cool in the refrigerator until it reaches frosting consistency. Make sure to stir every 15 minutes in the fridge while it cools.
Yule Log Assembly:
1. Gently unroll the cooled cake and spread the eggnog frosting all over the surface.
2. Roll the cake back up lengthwise and place the seam side down on a large plate, tray, or platter.
3.Cover the Yule log with the chocolate ganache.
4. Trim a 3-inch section off one end and stick on the side of the Yule Log. Patch the seam up with chocolate ganache frosting.
5. With a fork gently make marks along the tops and sides of the Yule Log to portray bark.
6. Trim the remaining end that was not already cut.
6. With a fine-mesh sieve dust with icing sugar over the Yule Log.
7. Decorate as you please with cranberries, branches, and sprinkles