These adorable St. Patrick's Day mini cupcakes are delicious and perfect for gifting, especially when you bake them in our personal cake pans! Add our Leprechaun Loot sprinkles over the top and you'll have the perfect dessert!
1 box of vanilla Duncan Hines cake mix
Ingredients called for on the box (eggs, oil), with the exception of replacing the water with the same amount of buttermilk
Green food coloring
1 bottle of SprinklePop Leprechaun Loot sprinkles
For White Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 cup (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons milk or cream, as needed for consistency
1. Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to the temperature specified on the Duncan Hines cake mix box. Spray your cupcake pans with cookie spray or grease them.
2. Mix Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, the number of eggs called for on the box, the oil, and replace the water quantity with buttermilk. Mix according to the package instructions until the batter is smooth without over-mixing. Add your food coloring until you reach a desired color.
3. Fill the mini pans: Divide the batter evenly among the 12 pans, filling each about half way full to ensure they rise properly and do not overflow.
4. Bake: Bake in the preheated oven according to the time specified on the cake mix box, usually between 18 to 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
5. Cool: Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool in the pan before icing.
White Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. Beat Cream Cheese and Butter: In a large bowl, beat the softened cream cheese and butter together with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
2. Add Powdered Sugar and Vanilla: Gradually add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating on low until combined. Add the vanilla extract and beat on medium speed until the frosting is smooth. If the frosting is too thick, add milk or cream, one tablespoon at a time, until it reaches a pipeable consistency.
3. Pipe Frosting: Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, fill a piping bag fitted with a star tip with the cream cheese frosting. Pipe the frosting onto each cupcake in a circular or decorative pattern as desired.
4. Once your cupcakes are frosted, sprinkle Leprechaun Loot over the top!
PRO TIPS! 👩🍳
1. Ensure all ingredients, especially the cream cheese and butter for the frosting, are at room temperature to achieve a smooth frosting.
2. If the frosting is too soft to pipe, chill it in the refrigerator for about 15-30 minutes to firm up slightly.